Why do you want to cycle to work?

Google Groups
CyclingProfessionals
Visit this group
 Subscribe in a readerAdd to Google Reader or HomepagePowered by FeedBurnerSubscribe to Cycling Professionals

Sports and Medicine Headline Animator

Sunday 6 July 2008

First Road Cycling Training session

I had my first training session on Saturday evening lasting for 40 minutes and found that it was difficult maintaining 22 km/h even on a flat terrain. I was just getting used to the 8-speed Shimano gears as it had been probably 20 yrs since I've last rode on a bike. My heart rate after the session was 110 bpm even after 5 minutes of rest and at 10 minutes, it was 90 bpm. It was a difficult ride charting a 17-18 on the Borg's Exertional Scale.

I need the Polar Heart Rate Monitor the next time I cycle. It will probably take another 4 - 6 weeks before I get fit enough for cycling to work.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Doc,
Yong has a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) going for around RM1xx only. Frankly, its a good buy !!

Dr Aston Ngai Seng Huey said...

If it is so affordable it should read only the pulse rate. It would do for a normal user but not a high risk unfit cyclist!

Alan said...

Doc,
A couple of guys are using it, including myself, and so far, no problem. When the heart rate goes high, it will beep then we slow down to regulate. We can plan our ride this way so that we don't push ourselves.

I'm not too sure how the other HRM works tho. Hehehe .. :)

Dr Aston Ngai Seng Huey said...

Let me check out the CS600 Polar HRM and get back to you about the features. Looks great as I can monitor HR, cadence, speed, distance, etc all on one screen.

DISCLAIMER

Viewers are informed that the comments and advertisement posted on this blog are not necessarily the views of the blog author. The blog author is not liable for any damage due to use or following such advice posted in the comments or advertisements.

Viewers are advised to follow the internet laws of your respective countries as the blog author cannot be responsible for bloggers contravening such laws in this blog.